My name is Samantha Dube and I’m a financial administrator and fitness blogger over at http://www.dumbbellsanddelights.com. The purpose of my blog is to show people the fun and exciting side of a healthy lifestyle. My plan is to remove the fear and intimidation people feel when they think of healthy living. I personally believe that healthy living is for everyone and is meant to be fun and manageable.
1. What is the meaning behind your blog name?
The short story is: Dumbbells- is my favourite exercise equipment and delights – everything that gives me pleasure (movies, books, products, events). Really just a clever play on words.
2. What inspired you to become a fitness blogger?
I had been blogging for about 5 or 6 years and had no niche, my blog was aimless and content sporadic. The key advise online at the was “Become an expert in your field, if you want to grow your blog” so I picked I subject I thought knew and loved and changed the content I had to offer.
3. Aside from running your blog, what hobbies do you do?
(My blog is a side hustle) I love to read, watch movies and explore my city there’s so much Joburg has to offer.
4. What are your favourite ways of keeping fit?
I love to walk, move and my go-to workout is zumba. I work out from home so a lot of my workouts are videos which consist of yoga, kickboxing and strength training.
5. What does your typical weekly workout routine look like?
I’m currently doing the Kayla Itsines BBG 12 week challenge.
Mondays Legs, Wednesdays Arms and Abs Friday Tuesdays and Thursdays are LISS (Low intensity steady state) – full body and Sundays are rest days.
6. How do you motivate yourself when you really don’t feel like exercising?
Since I work out from home it’s really a challenge to stay motivated so I have some set habits in place which are:
- Plan my workouts for the week and set small attainable goals.
- Track my workouts in my fitness journal
- Layout my gym clothes on the bed so they are a reminder to exercise when I get home from work.
- Go to exercise events such as the DD hikes
- Do a monthly fitness test and see my progress
7. 3 of your favourite gym/motivation songs?
Right now Dua Lipa- new rules, Ariana Grande ft Nicki Minaj side to side and of course the classic Eye of the tiger.
8. A lot of people want to tone up their abs at the moment, what is your number one move for this?
Let’s just point out my abs need some work to be the kind of abs I want. I would say weighted bent leg jack knives and Russian twists with a light weight.
9. What is your favourite quote?
Wow I’ve a couple of good ones…”When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive- to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.” ~ Marcus Aurelius
10. What advice can you give to someone who wants to start their journey of getting fit?
- Start small and make changes slowly
- Find something that is fun for you ( It’s a trial and error)
- Schedule exercise time in your diary or calendar and get a routine that compliments your life.
Read more from Samantha on her blog, Dumbbells and Delights. Or follow her on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and on her YouTube channel.