Have you always wanted to find out more about me? Well here's your chance to grab a cup of coffee, sit back, relax and enjoy. I found this online the other day and thought it would be fun to answer these questions! Give it a try yourself, and tag me so I can see your answers!
Lipstick, Gloss, Lip Stain, Balm, or Lip Liner?
Lip Balm – I’m a simple girl and find that the ease of lip balm suits my lifestyle.
- How do you make your Lipstick / Lip Gloss last longer?
To make my lipstick last longer I apply a layer of translucent/setting powder in between the layers that I put on.
- How do you pick a Lip Colour that looks good on your skin colour?
I’m naturally very pale and have a pink undertone in my skin, so I tend to pick bright colours with a blue undertone, and nude colours that have a pink undertone to compliment my skin.
- What are some cheap ways to take care of chapped lips?
Vaseline – it’s my best friend.
- Favourite drugstore lip product?
Essence Lip Liners are the bomb. They glide on smoothly and last the day without drying out my lips. Plus they are affordable.
- Favourite brand name lip product?
- Do you usually play up or play down your lips?
I usually play my lips down – I stick with subtle nude colours that blend in with my skin and makeup very well.
- Eyeliner in Pencil, Gel, or Liquid?
- How do you do a cat eye?
This is always a trick quick question – people are always expecting my way to be the best way to do a winged eyeliner, but it takes practice. It took me forever to find a the way that works for me.
I measure a whole lot of different angles in my head when doing my wing. I measure a straight line from my nose to the outer corner of my eye to the tip of my eyebrow – this gives the best angle for the flick of the wing, and then I just take it from there.
- What do you use to remove eye makeup and mascara?
Coconut oil is the bomb-diggidy! I have recently learnt the coconut oil is an amazing makeup remover, and it works really quickly. I usually rub it over my face like a cleanser and remove the excess oil and product buildup with a cotton pad drenched in Micellar water. At the moment I am using the Garnier Micellar water, but my favourite is still the Bioderma Micellar water.
- How do you make your eye makeup last longer?
I make sure that I prime my eye lids before putting anything on. This prevents and creasing that might happen during the day.
- Cream or Powder eye shadow?
Powder. I find that it blends easier.
- What tricks can you do to make your eyelashes look longer?
Curl them before applying a layer of mascara.
- How do you brighten up your eyes?
White eyeliner on your lower water line always makes you appear bright and refreshed, and ready for the day.
- What colour(s) go with your eyes?
My eyes are blue, so coppers, golds, and browns go very well with my eye colour.
- Favourite drugstore eyeliner?
Essence Long Lasting Gel Eyeliner Pencil.
- Favourite drugstore eyeshadow?
NYX always make a great eyeshadow that blends well.
- Favorite drugstore mascara?
L’Oreal’s Miss Manga.
- Favourite drugstore eye palette?
I don’t actually have one. I always go back to my NYX Champagne palette but I wouldn’t classify it as a favourite.
- Favourite brand name eyeliner?
Urban Decay 24/7 Liquid Eyeliner
- Favourite brand name eyeshadow?
Urban Decay – they are my absolute favourite!
- Favourite brand name mascara?
Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara
- Favourite brand name palette?
Of all time, the Urban Decay Naked Smoky Palette.
- If you can only use one eye makeup product, what would it be?
I’m a mascara kind of person, so I would probably be happy only applying my Better Than Sex every day.
- What is the difference between an eye primer and an eye base?
A primer is generally a nude of transparent colour, and only acts as a barrier between your skin and the makeup you are applying. Whereas and eye base tends to be a whiter shade with a creamer consistency that acts as a base to bring out the colours of the eyeshadows that are being applied over it.
As a general rule, I would say do your primer first and then put your base over that. Once you have those 2 on, anything you put on your eyes after that will look magical.
- Any tips on applying falsies?
Wait for the glue to get tacky. I cannot stress this enough… Wet glue will leave you with uncontrollable false eyelashes that burn your eyes.
- Favourite brand of falsies?
- How do you pick your shade of foundation?
I apply a small test to my jaw line and blend with the direction of my hair follicles. Once I have blended it in, I carry on looking at other makeup to allow the foundation to oxidise and then deiced if the colour is right for my skin tone.
- What's a good foundation for oily skin?
A foundation with a matte finish is the best for oily skin.
- What's a good foundation for dry skin?
A foundation with a dewey finish is best for dry skin.
- What's a good foundation for normal skin?
Normal skin can go either way – matt or dewey finish foundation. The choice becomes personal preference for the user.
- How do you pick a foundation for your skin colour?
I feel like this is the same question as 29…
- Tinted Moisturizer, BB Cream, or Foundation?
BB Cream – I’m lazy af, and love cutting out as many steps as possible.
- What is a BB Cream?
BB Cream is known as a Blemish Balm/Base. It is typically a multi-function cream that has light coverage with skincare properties. Some mistake it as a spot treatment but unfortunately, it does nothing for them.
- What do you use to apply your Foundation?
I apply my foundation with a damp beauty blended.
- How can I make my nose look slimmer or straighter?
Find yourself a great nose contouring routine that suits the shape of your nose. A good contour routine can mean greatness for your nose. My nose is on the bigger side, so I have a slimming routine.
- Cream, Powder, or Liquid Blush?
- Favourite foundation?
Rimmel Match Perfection in Ivory. Cheap, but amazing – I always go back.
- Favorite concealer?
Catrice Full Coverage Concealer.
- How do you conceal a pimple?
I apply green colour correction on it to hide any redness and then tackle it with concealer before covering it with my usual foundation routine.
- How do you conceal dark circles?
I use a red/pink colour correction to hide the blue of my dark circles and then carry on with my foundation. Once I have blended in my foundation I conceal ever further with a ful coverage concealer.
- How do you get rid of or lessen dark circles?
This is a difficult one… If you are like me and they are generic – there is NO getting rid of them. Over the years I have learnt to deal with them and lessen the visual impact of them. In winter, my skin gets lighter and thinner making the circles more obvious, so I bump up the number of hours of sleep to avoid any unnecessary darkening and then up the concealer efforts. In summer, my skin gets a little bit more sun and the skin under my eyes thickens making the circles less noticeable. Concealer usually suffices in the summer.
- What is your daily skin care routine?
My routine is the same for morning and evening – Cleanse with a gentle cleanser and a face cloth or sponge, apply an anti-spot serum and then apply a moisturiser. The products change depending on how I feel.
- What is your weekly skin care routine?
Apart from my daily routine, I add in a mask and a chemical exfoliator once a week.
- How do you prep your face for makeup?
I go about my daily skin care routine, and once I have applied my moisturiser I apply a makeup primer. This could be the spritz of a setting spray (Yes, you can use this as a primer too), or a pump of a liquid primer.
- How do you take off your makeup?
Coconut oil is the bomb-diggidy! I have recently learnt the coconut oil is an amazing makeup remover, and it works really quickly. I usually rub it over my face like a cleanser and remove the excess oil and product buildup with a cotton pad drenched in Micellar water.
- What are some DIY face masks?
Oh there are so many… my go to one though (because I usually have these products in my house) is, banana with lemon and honey, or oatmeal and yoghurt.
- Where can you buy face masks?
I usually buy my face masks from the local drugstore. My favourites are the Skin Republic face masks that are available at Dischem.
- What facial moisturiser do you recommend?
Lamelle’s Nourish Revitalise Lite
- How can I get rid of or shrink my big pores?
Getting rid of your pores is probably the wrong term to use. I would say shrinking pores is the more correct terminology. Your pores will never fully disappear, they will only get smaller if you keep them clean. I give mine a shrink-boost with a mixture of lemon and honey.
- How do you highlight your face?
I highlight where the sun would naturally hit my face – tops of my cheeks, brow bones, tip of my nose, centre of my forehead, cupids bow, and chin.
- How do you contour your face?
I have very strong facial features and often stay away from contouring too much, but when I do, I will contour my cheeks, temples, and nose.
- How often should you clean your makeup brushes?
I clean my makeup brushes every 2 weeks, but if I am suffering with a break out, I will wash the brushes once a week to lessen the chances of spreading the bacteria.
- How do you clean your makeup brushes?
I clean my brushes using baby shampoo. I have tried so many different cleaning methods but found that baby shampoo ticks all my clean-brush-boxes.
- What are some inexpensive makeup brushes?
Cala brushes (you can find these at Dis-Chem).
- Do you prefer matte or shimmer eyeshadows?
- Do you prefer matte or dewey skin?
Matte – my skin can become very oily during the day.
- Do you prefer matte or shiny lipstick / lipgloss?
Matte – I’m starting to sense a trend here.
- When did you start wearing makeup?
I started wearing makeup when I was 19.
- Who taught you to put on makeup?
- What is your favourite brand of makeup?
I’m an Urban Decay baby.
- What product do you never leave home without?
- If you only had R500 for makeup, what would you buy?
My shopping list would consist of a BB Cream, eyebrow powder or pencil, and a mascara.
- Who is your favorite beauty guru on YouTube?
Lauren Curtis is probably my all-time favourite. I have followed her from the beginning of my blogging journey and I am still in love with her videos.
- How long do you take to get ready in the morning?
Oh, anywhere between 15 minutes and an hour – it all depends on whether I know what I want to wear and how much makeup I apply.
- What online makeup store is your favoirite?
I rarely buy makeup online – I like testing all the makeup in the shops, it gives me a thrill!
- Who are your favourite beauty blogs on tumblr?
Hmm, I’m not on tumblr so I cannot say.
- How long should you keep a product?
Well this all depends on the product – usually a bottled product will have an expiry date on it. I make sure that I stick to this as much as I possibly can. I run the risk of my skin breaking out or getting an eye infection by using products that have actually expired.
- What product are you hoping to buy next?
Fenty Beauty is top of my list at the moment. I do not own anything from Fenty at the moment but the reviews I have read about the foundation intrigue me. Perhaps I will finally be able to find a shade that matches my skin tone!