If you watch my YouTube videos you would already know that my holy-grail eye shadow primer is the Urban Decay Primer Potion, but I feel that it has a competitor. Find out why…
I had used so many primers before getting my hands on the Primer Potion but none of them ever seemed to work for me. My eye shadow would either crease by the end of the day or it would end up looking gluggy and worn away, as if my skin had absorbed it all. The Primer Potion was a life-saver and I have been using it for roughly 2 years now.
As you all know though, Urban Decay has only recently (within the past month) moved onto South African soil, which has made getting Primer Potion a lot easier, but before this I would have to order it from overseas and wait for it to arrive in the country. This process usually takes a number of weeks and can be rather costly based on the import laws in my country.
In the times that I ran out of Primer Potion and waited for my order to come in from overseas, I looked around and tried a few more local drugstore make up brand primers and I seemed to have found one that really works for me. My eye shadow stays flawless all day long with no creasing. The pictures below show my make up during the course of a day using the Catrice Prime and Fine Eye Shadow Base. The first picture was taken immediately after I had finished doing my make up, and the second picture was taken late in the evening, just before I washed my face. As you can see, my face got a little bit shiny during the course of the day but my eye shadow still looks fantastic.
I can happily compare the Catrice Prime and Fine Eye Shadow Base to the Urban Decay Primer Potion. For the purpose of this post, I primed my right eye with the Catrice product and my left eye with the Urban Decay product.
As you can see in the picture below, neither eye look changed during the course of the day. Both stayed crease free and the make up from the eye looks didn’t run. The looks do not look any different from each other and you would never be able to tell that I used 2 different eye primer’s for this look.
As for the actual product: both of them share a very similar consistency and texture. However, I find the Catrice product to be smoother and easier to blend into the skin. I also find that Catrice product matches my skin tone better, with the Urban Decay product having more of an orange tone.
Overall, I do believe that the Catrice Prime and Fine Eye Shadow Base is a great drugstore dupe to the Urban Decay’s Primer Potion. I will definitely be using this product as a much more affordable alternative to my Urban Decay Primer Potion. If you are like me and love to find affordable dupes to high end make up, then this is a great option for you.
The full product list for this look:
- Catrice Prime and Fine Anti-Red Base
- Rimmel Match Perfection Foundation in 100 Ivory
- Catrice Liquid Camouflage High Coverage Concealer in 010 Porcellain
- Catrice Colour Correcting Mattifying Powder in 010 Delicate Blossom
- Blush from the Naked on the Run Palette
- Catrice Sun Glow Matt Bronzing Powder in 030 Medium Bronze
- Catrice all Matt Plus Shine Control Powder in 010 Transparent
- Urban Decay Brow Box in Honey Pot
- Catrice Prime and Fine Eye Shadow Base and Urban Decay Primer Potion
- ‘Fix’ as the transition shade on the lid and in the crease (Urban Decay Naked on the Run)
- ‘Dare’ to enhance the crease (Urban Decay Naked on the Run)
- ‘Salted Caramel’ to blend Fix and Dare together (Too Faced Chocolate Bar)
- ‘Dive’ over the entire eyelid (Urban Decay Naked on the Run)
- ‘Triple Fudge’ on the outer corner of the eye lid (Too Faced Chocolate Bar)
- ‘Marzipan’ on the inner corner of the eyelid (Too Faced Chocolate Bar)
- ‘Amaretto’ to blend the Triple Fudge and Dive together on the center and outer corner of the eyelid (Too Faced Chocolate Bar)
- ‘Triple Fudge’ and ‘Cherry Cordial’ on the outer half of the lower lash line (Too Faced Chocolate Bar)
- ‘Crème Brulee’ on the inner corner of the lower lash line (Too Faced Chocolate Bar)
- ‘White Chocolate’ as a brow bone highlight (Too Faced Chocolate Bar)
- Urban Decay’s 24/7 Liquid Eyeliner in ‘Perversion’ for the wing
- Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara
- Bourjois Number 02 Lipstick